NATIONAL COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN, GREATER DETROIT SECTION
"All of our bright tomorrows are built upon the firm foundation of our yesterdays."
Founded in 1891 and inspired by Jewish values, National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section (NCJW/Greater Detroit) has maintained a progressive stance on issues at the local, state and national levels. In a pioneering spirit, supporters come together to improve the quality of life for women, children and families.
Read about our 120 Year Anniversary
Here are just a few additional highlights.
Historical Highlights (excerpts):
1891 Rabbi Louis Grossman called a meeting of Jewish women of the community which resulted in the formation of the Jewish Women's Club of Temple Beth El, with Ida E. (Mrs. Bernard) Ginsburg as President.
1893 Committee appointed to represent the club at the Women's Congress at the Chicago World's Fair.
1896 Organization name changed to "Jewish Women's Club." An employment service created.
1902 Beginnings of our Education Assistance Program with the establishment of the Ida. E. Ginsburg Scholarship Fund in memory of first president.
1925 The Jewish Women's Club becomes the Greater Detroit Section of NCJW. Mrs. Joseph M. Welt elected first president.
1931 National Convention of NCJW was held in Detroit (and again in 1971 and 1996)
1934 Council Resale Shop opened in clubhouse 1t 89 Rowena Street. Junior Council organized.
1946 Partnered with Jewish Welfare Federation & Resettlement Service to form "Service to New Americans."
1952 High school age girls formed the "Councilettes" and undertook program of social activities, community service, and support of the Hannah G. Solomon Scholarship Fund.
1960 Operation Friendship program for convalescing psychiatric patients was started.
1962 The Orchards Residential Home for emotionally disturbed young boys was opened in Livonia. (more)
1969 NCJW adopts resolution to eliminate obstacles that limit abortion rights
1973 Meals on Wheels established to provide kosher meals to home-bound adults.
1979 The first SPACE retreat was held at Camp Tamarack with 40 adults and children in attendance.
1980 Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) project of GDS began in Oakland County Juvenile Court.
2002 Distributed 3000 copies of Teen Yellow Pages, a resource guide to services to teens, to 7-9 graders.
2005 Teen Dating Abuse project launched.
2011 Read about120 Year Anniversary!