Asst. Recording Secretary
State Policy Advocate
M. Catherine Cantor
Board of Director
Doris Lee Goldman
Rose Lynn Schlussel
M. Catherine Cantor
Carol Sue Coden
Mon. Mar. 25 (1pm) Erev
Tue. & Wed. Mar. 26 & 27 Passover
Mon. & Tue. Apr. 1 & 2
Wed. & Thu. May 15 & 15 Shavuot
Mon. May 27
NCJW/Greater Detroit Section:
26400 Lahser Road, Suite 306
Southfield, MI 48033-2675
Email the office:
Suzanne Simon, President
Susan Gertner, Exec. Director
Berkley re|sale Shop: 248-548-6664
3297 W. 12 Mile Rd., Berkley, MI 48072
Royal Oak re|sale Shop: 248-542-2600
1221 E. Lincoln, Royal Oak, MI 48067
re|design HOME consignment:
248-439-6040, 32801 Woodward Ave.,
Royal Oak, MI 48073
Meals on Wheels:
New Clients: 248-661-1836
SPACE for Changing Families:
NATIONAL COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN, GREATER DETROIT SECTION
"All of our bright tomorrows are built upon the firm foundation of our yesterdays."
Our section has a long proud history of serving the Detroit metropolitan
area, promoting friendly fellowship and mutual helpfulness among women,
families and children.
Read about our
Here are just a few additional highlights.
1891 Rabbi Louis Grossman called a meeting of Jewish women of the community which resulted in the formation of the
Jewish Women's Club of Temple Beth El, with Ida E. (Mrs. Bernard) Ginsburg as President.
1893 Committee appointed to represent the club at the Women's Congress at the Chicago World's Fair.
1896 Organization name changed to "Jewish Women's Club." An
employment service created.
1902 Beginnings of our Education Assistance Program with the establishment of the Ida. E. Ginsburg Scholarship Fund in memory of first president.
1925 The Jewish Women's Club becomes the Greater Detroit Section of NCJW. Mrs. Joseph M. Welt elected first president.
1931 National Convention of NCJW was held in Detroit (and again in 1971 and 1996)
1934 Council Resale Shop opened in
clubhouse 1t 89 Rowena Street. Junior Council organized.
Partnered with Jewish Welfare Federation & Resettlement Service to form "Service
to New Americans."
1952 High school age girls
formed the "Councilettes" and undertook program of social
activities, community service, and support of the Hannah G. Solomon
1960 Operation Friendship
program for convalescing psychiatric patients was started.
The Orchards residential home for emotionally
disturbed young boys was opened in Livonia.
adopts resolution to eliminate obstacles that limit abortion rights
1973 Meals on Wheels established to
provide kosher meals to home-bound adults.
first SPACE retreat was held at Camp Tamarack with 40
adults and children in attendance.
Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) project of GDS began in
Oakland County Juvenile Court.
2002 Distributed 3000 copies of
Teen Yellow Pages, a resource guide to services to teens, to 7-9 graders.
2005 Teen Dating Abuse project launched.
2011 Read about
our Section's 120th Anniversary!